The Learning Support Department at The Roundhill Academy consists of the following: a SENDCO (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator) an Assistant SENDCO, a HLTA (Higher Level Teaching Assistant), one TA (Teaching Assistant and 2 LSAs (Learning Support Assistant). Alongside the teaching staff, we support and monitor the progress of young people on the SEND register.
Students who have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) will have an adult supporting them in their lessons in accordance with the provision stated on their EHCP. For those students who do not have an EHCP, at the level of school support, we target support in English and Maths lessons and thereafter where we deem the most need arises. Students may also have an adult in other curriculum areas at different times.
Learning Support staff may help and encourage students to:-
• Remember and act on instructions given
• Read worksheets, questions, books
• Organise thoughts and answers to questions
• Make a note of their ideas/answers
• Work well with other students
• Operate safely in practical lessons
They will also:-
• Explain what students have to do to complete tasks
• Ask lots of questions to make sure they have understood
• Give lots of praise when students have worked well
• Help to record homework in planners if required
All students receive Quality First Teaching in the classroom, a small number may be withdrawn for supplementary interventions and some students may require 1:1 targeted intervention. The diagram below explains this.
Examples of interventions:
• Social stories
• Social skills